Background

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Something's up

Every once in a while Emily will get very whiny.  Sometimes it means nothing.  Sometimes it means that she's getting sick.  Sometimes it signals the start of a flare.  This morning she woke up that way.  I'm hoping it means nothing more than maybe she didn't sleep well?  She knew that she had labwork today.  Usually that doesn't bother her too much anymore, but today she wouldn't get up, wouldn't get dressed, wouldn't let me help her dress.  When she's like that she'll run & hide, crawl around, and generally act like she's two.  In some ways I can't blame her.  She cried pretty much all the way to All Children's Specialty Center for her labwork, and most of the time there.  She finally calmed down after the needle went in.  It kills me on those days when it's so hard for her.  It truly just isn't fair!  Not when you're 8 years old, to have to go so often.  She was pretty calm by the time I got her to school.

Her teacher called me this afternoon to tell me about the breakdown that she had in her math class.  She has my math block.  (No, I haven't told her about my previous fear of math, & I have overcome it for the most part!)  She has taken it to a very high level.  Anything that she has to work at she gets angry about.  We're working on figuring out a solution, but I think that today's outburst occurred from whatever made her so cranky this morning.  After dinner tonight she told me that she felt dizzy.  She has never, ever told me that before.  She asked me to check her temp but actually it was a bit low at 97F.  We'll just have to keep an eye on her.  She can't tell when she's sick, so we need to be vigilant.

On a happier note, today I took my placement tests for college!  Due to never having taken algebra, I knew that I would need some math classes.  I had forgotten a lot- including stuff that I taught myself just last year.  I didn't do the greatest on my math, but I'm actually happy about that because I crave the refresher & challenges of new material!  My English, however...  I worried about that because I had forgotten a lot of the rules.  I haven't gone over the rules since maybe 1991 or 1992.  I was confused because I was expecting the test to last 2 hours.  I was finished in an hour & 3 minutes.  There was no essay.  I was looking forward to the essay.  The reason there was no essay?  A score of 100 or higher on the reading & sentence structure qualifies one for honors classes.  I had 101 on my reading and 117 on my sentence structure!!!  Non-believers skip here:  Thank you, God for helping me to pass this test!  I know that it is in your plan, which I'm trying my best to abide by.  Thank you for giving me the strength, the courage, the knowledge, the serenity to do this.  I know that you were by my side the whole time.  Thank you!!!

Needless to say, I am very proud of myself, though I don't know if that was really me in there or not!  I just can't believe it.  I'm so excited to start on this new journey.  By the end of it, I will be qualified to really properly take care of my baby.  Of course, by then she'll be an adult, but that's ok!  I want to do this right... not fast!  Bedtime for me.  It's been a crazy, exhausting day!  If ya'll would, prayers for the bean, please!  Thank you!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment